DFCM Red Button
Advice for Family Medicine Residents in Emergency or Crisis
What is the "Red Button"? The Red Button is intended as a quick reference for family medicine residents at the University of Toronto who find themselves in an emergency or crisis situation of various kinds. The major scenarios are listed below. Note: The Red Button provides information and links to resources, but does not connect you directly to assistance.
If your health or safety, or the health or safety of someone else, is at risk, please call 911 or seek medical attention right away!
PARO 24 Hour Helpline: 1 866-HELP-DOC (1-866-435-7362)
You can print or email this page using the icons in green just above this text. Your Resident Handbook will also provide advice/information relevant to your local teaching site.
For advice, choose the description below that best fits your situation …
- I am experiencing a personal crisis.
- I feel threatened or harassed.
- I've been exposed to blood or body fluids (e.g. needle-stick injury).
- There has been a death in my family.
- I am too ill to go in today.
- I have a longer-term illness.
- I am concerned about my personal safety in certain patient encounter situations.
- I am concerned about travelling between training sites.
- Unsuccessful CFPC Exam Certification – What to Do Next
- I am worried about my performance on the Family Medicine Medical Expert Assessment of Progress (FM-MAP) test.
Resource: Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures, University of Toronto Sexual Harassment Office
Resource: Anti-Racism and Cultural Diversity Office, University of Toronto
Resource: Community Safety Office, University of Toronto
Resource: PARO Break the Cycle: Resident Intimidation and Harassment
Resource: Microaggressions and allyship, Faculty of Medicine Office of Inclusion and Diversity
Resident Wellness Resource Checklist
Key University Program: Office of Resident Wellness, University of Toronto, Postgraduate Medical Education
Resource: PARO 24 Hour Help Line
Phone: 866-HELP-DOC (1-866-435-7362)
Resource: OMA Physician Health Program
Resource: Hospital Employee Assistance Program
Contact: Ask site administrator for details
Resource: PARO Transition to Practice Program
Resource: Health Force Ontario (HFO) Practice U
Resource: Ontario Physicians Locum Program
Resource: University of Toronto Career Centre